Friday 5 June 2009

Can we blame the fatties?


Jonathan Porritt’s claim that fat people are causing climate change got a lot of discussion going in our office. As someone who has been called ‘fattist’ in the past and who assumes that most fat people are lazy and unmotivated, I was the first to put my hand up and agree.

But is it really that simple? Yes they eat more meat and processed foods and get out on their bikes less but does that mean they have a bigger carbon footprint? There is a strong correlation between obesity and lower social-economic class and although they eat more, they probably fly less and live in smaller houses. If we ever moved to a carbon quota system I reckon it may be the thin affluent people who end up buying credits from the poor fat people, not the other way around.

2 comments:

  1. Also fat people don't live so long - so use up less resources -- or do they suffer more ailments and use up more NHS resources during their shorter lives?

    It's so complicated I need to sit down with a cake to think about it. I have had to comment as anonymous as I don't know what a URL is!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if obese people produce more methane because they eat more processed food?!

    ReplyDelete