Thursday 6 August 2009

C is for Cat, S is for Sustainability


Sustainability is not a word that featured in my vocabulary when I was a child, but it is a sign of the times when Disney includes the word in its scripts, especially a film with very little talking anyway! I am talking about Wall-E, which I finally got round to watching the other night. I was surprised by the number of social and environmental issues that it deals with – waste, pollution, obesity, breakdown of society, role of technology and the list goes on. Disney films have often been argued to be more than ‘bland populism’ – Snow White actively fought against discrimination through her relationship with seven dwarfs did she not? Therefore I shouldn’t really have been surprised that sustainability came up - it is only logical that modern Disney films cover issues that are current in society today - as long as the messages are clear and children don’t now expect a small robot to come along and clean up the world…

No comments:

Post a Comment