Wednesday 20 May 2009

Web 2.0 - the future of sustainability ratings?

I don’t think I’ve ever written a blog post before. And I’ve never Twittered. But the team have dragged me kicking and screaming into the shiny new world of Web 2.0 so what better way to start than with a post about…Web 2.0.

I got sent a link to Scryve the other day – it’s a new site designed to let us, the public, analyse and rank companies on their sustainability performance. Over time these ratings aggregate into an overall score for the company. So far, so  interactive. But I can’t help wondering whether most of the users on the site are going to be companies’ own CR managers trying to boost their own ratings (think of authors on Amazon sneaking on to write glowing reviews of their own work). Are most people really motivated enough to spend time logging their thoughts on different companies? And are the people who are motivated to do so really providing the most objective opinions (bearing in mind the old adage that a satisfied customer tells one friend, and an unhappy customer tells everyone)? 

No comments:

Post a Comment